- Council: Douglas Shire Council
- Fund: Regional Capital Fund
- Category: Water/Sewerage/Waste Infrastructure
- Round: 1
A new reservoir and water mains will alleviate issues—including low pressure, insufficient storage and deteriorating pipes—and ensure adequate supplies during the dry season and peak tourism times.
Total project cost
* Average number of Full-Time Equivalent (FTE) jobs supported by project construction (based on Queensland Treasury's Guidelines for estimating FTE jobs directly supported by the capital works program).
- Based on council’s existing rates base, this project would not have been possible without Building our Regions funding as the cost is 1.5 times council’s total yearly capital works program.
- The new reservoir will give the town’s major businesses, such as the Sheraton Mirage, confidence to upgrade and expand. In August 2016, the Sheraton completed a $40 million renovation and is planning on a further $200M expansion in the near future.
- Doubling the reservoir capacity to 20ML will provide a safe and reliable water supply with up to 2.5 days storage for the 4500 population and the 1.2 million visitors annually who spend an estimated $400 million in the region.
- It will also provide the critical infrastructure necessary to support growth.
- Best practice workplace health and safety standards will reduce the risks associated with working at heights and handling chlorine.
- Will provide increased disaster resilience in the event of power loss, by being a gravity fed rather than pumped storage system.
- The new reservoir provides the much-needed capacity to avoid potential human and environmental harm.
- Being constructed at a height of 54m AHD means the gravity-fed system will make the reservoir significantly more energy efficient.
- The need for water restrictions, such as the level 2 restrictions put in place in 2015, will be reduced.
- A new, larger and higher placed 20ML reservoir.
- 2.5km of dedicated inlet and outlet mains.
- 0.6km access road.
Disclaimer: Information on this page may change over the life of the project. Funding amounts referenced are as approved.