- Council: Gladstone Regional Council
- Fund: Regional Capital Fund
- Category: Water/Sewerage/Waste Infrastructure
- Round: 1
Miriam Vale’s new water treatment plant means the community has a safe and reliable supply of drinking and washing water free of discolouration from iron and manganese, and toxins associated with blue-green algae.
Total project cost
* Average number of Full-Time Equivalent (FTE) jobs supported by project construction (based on Queensland Treasury's Guidelines for estimating FTE jobs directly supported by the capital works program).
- The project is supporting local design and construction jobs.
- A clean water supply will lead to increased usage, which currently averages 100L per person per day and is considered low.
- Council estimates it will save around $13,000 a year (labour and plant hire, $9,000; water lost, $4,000) by not having to flush out pipes on a regular basis.
- Increase patronage by construction workers at the town’s motel.
- Greater confidence and amenity for residents through provision of a reliable source of quality drinking and washing water that meets the Australian Drinking Water Guidelines 2011.
- Less staining of laundry.
- Miriam Vale water is sourced from ground and surface supplies and the current treatment plant is not effective at removing iron, manganese and blue-green algae toxin.
- Processes pre-treat the water for iron and manganese, and powdered activated carbon will deal with blue-green algae issues.
- Reduced risk of illnesses associated with blue-green algae outbreaks.
- Council has increased its knowledge of water quality issues through collaborating on a research program with CQUniversity.
- New water treatment plant with a capacity of 500kL/day.
- Chemical oxidation for removal of iron and manganese.
- Carbon adsorption for blue green algae toxin removal.
Read more about the benefits of the Miriam Vale Water Treatment Plant upgrade ( 97 KB).
Disclaimer: Information on this page may change over the life of the project. Funding amounts referenced are as approved.