The Queensland Government is committed to phasing out sand mining on North Stradbroke Island – also known as Minjerribah – by 2019 and expanding the island's existing industries to ensure a strong, sustainable economy for all who live there.
To deliver this commitment, the Queensland Government has developed the North Stradbroke Island Economic Transition Strategy. This strategy aims to:
- diversify and expand the current tourism industry
- expand education and training opportunities
- stimulate local business development and growth.
The draft North Stradbroke Island Economic Transition Strategy was released for public consultation in December 2015. Consultation was undertaken between December 2015 and February 2016, with feedback received from a large number of individuals and organisations. This indicated a strong desire that the strategy contribute to the growth of a more sustainable and diverse North Stradbroke Island economy.
The final North Stradbroke Island Economic Transition Strategy ( 1.9 MB) was released on 1 September 2016.
Twenty million dollars was allocated by the Queensland Government in September 2016 to drive the strategy and facilitate stakeholder co-investment. An additional $3.87 million in-kind contribution was also given for identified actions and $5 million to help mine workers pursue new employment opportunities.
In June 2018 the Queensland Government committed another $4.75 million dollars to further support the initiatives under the strategy to stimulate business development, increase economic activity and create sustainable jobs.
The Queensland Government is delivering the 23 initiatives identified in the strategy in partnership with the Quandamooka Yoolooburrabee Aboriginal Corporation, Redland City Council and Straddie Chamber of Commerce.
A number of other agencies and organisations, including the University of Queensland, are also associated with delivery of the projects.
North Stradbroke Island Economic Transition Strategy
Check out the fact sheet ( 166 KB) or read more about the:
- 23 NSI projects
- North Stradbroke Island Economic Transition Strategy ( 635 KB)
- North Stradbroke Island Economic Transition Strategy update 2016-17 ( 1.9 MB)
- North Stradbroke Island regional profile ( 1.6 MB)
Or contact us via:
- phone: 13 QGOV (13 74 68)
- post: North Stradbroke Island Economic Transition Office, PO Box 178, Dunwich Q 4183
North Stradbroke Island Sand Mining Workers Assistance Scheme
- read more about the North Stradbroke Island Sand Mining Workers Assistance Scheme
- phone: 0478 405 423