On 28 October 2017, the Government announced a proposed Global Tourism Hub (GTH) for Tropical North Queensland, bringing a dynamic new tourism opportunity to the region.
From 20 December 2017 to 11 February 2018, the department undertook a community consultation for a Global Tourism Hub (GTH) opportunity in Tropical North Queensland (Cairns). Members of the public were invited to have their say on what they would like in a GTH development in the Tropical North region.
This was the first stage of an ongoing and comprehensive community consultation process.
Community consultation is now closed. Please contact us for more information about the project at:
- 1800 100 424 (M–F, 9 am-5 pm AEST)
Registration of Interest
A multi-phase procurement process will be conducted by the state, commencing with a registration of interest (ROI) process for entities wishing to be considered for participation in the expressions of interest process for the delivery of the project.
The ROI was released 30 October 2017 on the Queensland Government QTender website.
ROI responses closed on 23 January 2018.
Suitably qualified proponents will be invited from the ROI phase to develop a proposal and concept for the Tropical North GTH through an expression of interest.
Indicative project timeline
- Registration of Interest process commenced - 30 October 2017
- Registration of Interest closed – 23 January 2018
- Government release of Expression of Interest - March/April 2018
- Expression of Interest close - mid-2018
- Shortlist Proponents announced - mid-2018
- Request for Detailed Proposals responses and evaluation - Q4 2018 - Q1 2019
- Preferred Proponent announced and transaction documents signed - Q1/Q2 2019
- Construction begins - Q3/Q4 2020
News and media updates
- North Queenslanders have their say on Cairns Global Tourism Hub (21 February 2018)
- Global Tourism Hub a step closer for North Queensland (20 December 2017)